Bengal Cat – Amendment to Importation
The Department of the Environment and Energy states on their website that they are reviewing its policies in regard to imports of hybrid species, including Bengal cats, these arrangements may change. In their response they state that any changes would be subject to extensive consultation prior to the changes being adopted, to date this has not occurred, ACF has adbvised the department that they would like to be included in the consultation process.
The Process for importing a Bengal cat into Australia:
- Check the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website (http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs ) for all permit requirements for cat imports.
2. If breeders believe they will be able to meet these requirements and the animal is a Bengal cat, contact Department of the Environment and Energy on email@example.com or phone +61 2 6274 2678 with identification* and pedigree of the Bengal cat (to prove cat is an F5 hybrid or greater).
3. The Department of the Environment and Energy will consider information provided and advise breeders and Department of Agriculture and Water Resources whether the animal is considered to be a domestic cat.
4. If the animal is considered to be a domestic cat, breeders apply for an import permit from Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.
*Please note identification must include:
• Owner’s name
• Animal’s name
• Animal’s microchip number
• Pedigree document demonstrating F5 status
If breeders are able to meet all these requirements and have the information, please send this in a return email to this address and they will review it and advise the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources accordingly.
If breeders require further information about the department’s policy concerning hybrid animals please consult the following page; http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/live/import-list/hybrid-animals or contact them via email or phone and they will endeavour to help. The departments ongoing review of their policy regarding hybrids will be reflected on this page and the opportunity for public comment will be available.